April 27, 2017; 1-2:30 p.m. (ET)
The U.S. military has a history steeped in cultural diversity. In 1948 President Harry Truman signed Executive Order 9981 that declared equal treatment and opportunity for all members of the armed forces — a first for any American institution.
This webinar will examine historical and current evidence of cultural disparities within the general population and in the military. This presentation will offer an overview of key dimensions of cultural diversity, with special attention to the multi-dimensional nature of cultural characteristics, often referred to as intersectionality.
Shelley MacDermid Wadsworth, Military Family Research Institute director, will discuss evidence-based research on effective strategies for supporting cultural minority families. She will talk about developing diversity programs and interventions, and address factors that interfere with compliance, retention and positive outcomes.
After this webinar, participants will:
- Discuss how cultural diversity relates to minority families in the United States
- Analyze cultural disparities within the military
- Learn different, evidence-based strategies for reaching out to and supporting cultural minority families
- Shelley MacDermid Wadsworth, Ph.D., M.S., M.B.A.
- Director, Center for Families Director, Military Family Research Institute Professor, Human Development and Family Studies Purdue University West Lafayette, Indiana
- Maj. Demietrice L. Pittman, Ph.D.
- Chief, Implementation Science Deployment Health Clinical Center Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury Silver Spring, Maryland
Continuing education credit is available from Professional Education Services Group (PESG). You must register by 3 p.m. (ET) April 27, 2017, to qualify for the receipt of continuing education credit.
The awarding of continuing education credit is limited in scope to health care providers who actively provide psychological health and traumatic brain injury care to U.S. active-duty service members, reservists, National Guardsmen, military veterans and their families.
Sign up for the webinar. Please note, registration is required for each webinar regardless if the participant has an existing PESG account. Upon completion of registration, a confirmation email will be sent providing webinar event details.
Once registered, you may use Adobe Connect to attend the webinar. If you have questions or need assistance, please email the DCoE webinar team.