April 29 – May 1, 2014
Defense Health Headquarters
7700 Arlington Blvd., Falls Church, VA 22042
The Defense Health Agency and Uniformed Services University are co-hosting a “Women in Combat Symposium” at the Defense Health Headquarters (DHHQ) in Falls Church, Va. Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury (DCoE) is a symposium partner. DCoE experts will present and moderate panel discussions on psychological and social aspects of health and well-being.
The event is open to federal employees, federal contractors and active-duty military, who are supporting this work. Participants have the option to attend the event online in a virtual environment.
Max.gov is the online platform for the symposium. Whether attending in person or virtually, all participants must register with max.gov and then join the “Women in Combat Symposium” group on max.gov to register for the conference — select the “registration” tab on the “Women in Combat Symposium” home page. Participants planning to attend in person should register by April 14.
The objective of this symposium is to discuss and frame the key issues that must be addressed as women continue to be integrated into combat roles. Participants will:
- Review literature about women in combat (WIC) in relation to human, fitness and health, operational, environmental and community/cultural factors
- Identify critical issues for WIC throughout the whole spectrum of military operations and define possible solutions from a policy perspective
- Define an optimal baseline performance for a woman to engage in combat operations and describe research and policy gaps for optimizing performance
- Prioritize critical research and policy gaps for WIC and provide actionable policy recommendations
- Develop a peer-reviewed published supplement to record/disseminate information and outcomes
For questions or registration problems, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.