Skip Navigation

Home  >  DCoE Blog > Ready to Seek Psychological Health Care? Find the Right Resources

Go Back


Ready to Seek Psychological Health Care? Find the Right Resources

If you’re looking for information about psychological health care, but are unsure what resources are available or which ones are confidential, the Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury (DCoE) created a fact sheet of psychological health resources that answers those questions. You can use the fact sheet to identify a health care resource that will best benefit your specific needs.

Resources for Psychological Health Care


The fact sheet lists resources ranging from hotlines to self-assessments to one-on-one counseling sessions.


Information and hotline assistance

Reach out for relevant information or immediate help.DCoE Outreach Center 866-966-1020

  • The DCoE Outreach Center provides trained, professional health resource experts to help answer questions about psychological health and traumatic brain injury issues. The center provides 24/7 assistance by phone at 866-966-1020, online chat or email at
  • The Department of Veterans Affairs operates a suicide prevention hotline “Military Crisis Line” to provide service members in emotional crisis access to trained counselors 24/7 at 800-273-8255 (press 1 for military). screenshotConfidential self-assessments

Assess your situation to find out which kind of care best suits your needs.

  • is a website that offers online, confidential assessments on common post-deployment issues such as post-traumatic stress, sleep disorders, depression, anger, resilience and work adjustment, for military members and their families.
  • Military Pathways is a voluntary, anonymous mental health and alcohol education screening program for military members and their families.

Counseling and treatment


Know what’s available. You can find confidential counseling options on most military installations that provide medical and non-medical support services. Keep in mind that certain circumstances may require a counselor to break confidentiality, so be sure to discuss your confidentiality agreement with your health care professional before beginning counseling or treatment.

  • Military OneSource (800-342-9647) provides support to all branches of the military and offers direct access to medical professionals through face-to-face, online, email and phone sessions. The services are private and confidential, with a few exceptions.
  • inTransition provides personal coaching by phone to support service members receiving mental health services as they transition between health care systems or providers. The program is free and assistance is available 24/7 at 800-424-7877.
  • Community service centers, staffed by trained professionals and volunteers, are available on some bases and offer free services — including counseling. Most can provide confidential, short-term counseling, and information and referrals if needed.
  • Military chaplains are a good first stop if you aren’t ready or are unsure about your need to see a medical professional regarding behavioral health concerns. Many are also clinical psychologists.  
  • The same primary care manager you see for routine medical issues can also diagnose and treat many psychological health conditions, such as posttraumatic stress disorder and depression.
  • Although there are several names for behavioral health clinics and military treatment facilities across the services (psychology, psychiatry, mental health, life skills, etc.), these types of clinics offer specialized services for psychological health concerns in a confidential environment.

 Service member receiving counseling from a chaplain
U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Willard E. Grande II

Most communities offer military health, psychological health, family support and other services. Locating these services and understanding which may benefit you most can make a world of difference in managing your psychological health care. Download the DCoE fact sheet "Resources for Psychological Health Care" for more information — it’s never too late to learn about the right care or treatment option for you.

Comments (2)

  • Chaplain Mary Murphy, War Widow 16 Jan

    How can we locate research vis' Military Veterans Incarcerated; those who had a disability rating prior to their incarceration?
    The War Widows
  • DCoE Blog Editor 20 Jan

    You might try contacting the Department of Veterans Affairs at


  1. DCoE welcomes your comments.

    Please do not include personally identifiable information, such as Social Security numbers, phone numbers, addresses, or e-mail addresses in the body of your comment. Comments that include profanity, personal attacks, or any other material deemed inappropriate by site administrators will be removed. Your comments should be in accordance with our full comment policy regulations. Your participation indicates acceptance of these terms.

    Please read our full Comment Policy.
  2. Formatting options